Phase 3 is where the rubber meets the road in ACBC Certification. Over the course of a year, you will complete 50 sessions of supervised counseling with an ACBC Fellow.
Choose a Fellow from a list of available Fellows sent to you after you pass your exams.
Notify the ACBC office once the Fellow has agreed to be your supervisor.
Complete 50 sessions (of at least one hour length) of supervised counseling.
– Counseling supervision is often completed remotely via email and telephone.
– You will need to complete and send your supervisor a Case Report for each counseling session.
– At least 10 sessions must be with the same counselee.
– Audio record a minimum of 5 sessions to review and discuss with your supervising Fellow.
– The 50 sessions must be completed within one year.
Meet with your supervisor to review each Case Report.
After you have completed 50 sessions of counseling that your supervisor is satisfied with, he will submit a recommendation for membership.
A list of Fellows currently supervising will be sent to you once you have passed the exams. Write to one at a time via email and include the following points:
No. ACBC does see great wisdom in team counseling, but for the purpose of certification, your supervisor must determine that you can bear the entire load of preparing for and conducting the counseling session. For the counseling case you submit for supervision, you should be the only counselor participating in the session. You may have an individual sit in on the sessions with you to gather data, but you must be leading and directing the session.
You have one year from the date that your exams passed. If you will not finish in the one year allowed, you can apply for an extension. Email [email protected] for the required paperwork and current extension fee rate.